Update From ADK Schenectady Chapter website 6/12/2020
To all interested in hiking the wonderful Northville Placid Trail,
We’re resuming the Northville-Placid Trail Challenge on June 12! With all ten regions of New York State officially in phases of Governor Cuomo’s “New York Forward” reopening plan, guidelines set in place by “New York on PAUSE”—the governor’s stay at home order—have been lifted. All thru-hike completions on the Northville-Placid Trail completed on or after this date will count towards the patches the challenge award.
As a proud partner in the #RecreateResponsibly coalition, which consists of over 100 outdoor organizations nationwide, ADK is committed to providing outdoor enthusiasts with the tools to safely enjoy the outdoors during the coronavirus pandemic. Before you head out to enjoy ADK’s hiking challenges, please consider these six #RecreateResponsibly points:
1. Know Before You Go – check the status of the place you want to visit. If it is closed, don’t go. If it’s crowded, have a Plan B.
2. Plan Ahead – Prepare for facilities to be closed, pack lunch and bring essentials like hand sanitizer and a face covering.
3. Practice Physical Distancing – Adventure only with your immediate household. Be prepared to cover your nose and mouth and give others space. If you are sick, stay home.
4. Play It Safe – Slow down and choose lower-risk activities to reduce your risk of injury. Search and rescue operations and health care resources are both strained.
5. Stay Close to Home – This is not the time to travel long distances to recreate. Most places are only open for day use.
6. Leave No Trace – Respect public lands and communities and take all garbage with you.
In addition to these points provided by the coalition, there are additional points to consider when approaching a long thru-hike like the Northville-Placid Trail. “The Northville-Placid Trail travels through some of the most remote parts of the Adirondack Park and takes most thru-hikers 10-14 days to complete. If you or a member of your party becomes ill, an emergency medical response might take many hours to reach your location,” said Dustin Wright, Chapter Chair, ADK Schenectady Chapter. “Those hiking the Northville-Placid Trail should come prepared with extra sanitation methods, including hand sanitizer and soap, face masks, and a method for reaching emergency personnel that work in areas without cell service, such as a Spot beacon.”
If you have any questions please contact Mary MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org